[Coco] disk drive/controller formatting question

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Wed Aug 24 08:10:47 EDT 2005

Whichever way it works and doesn't work, Disk Basic and OS-9
(particularly NitrOS-9) seem to require different amounts of precision
from the drives. OS-9 on my system is much more sensitive to rpm than
Disk Basic. With the latest NitrOS-9, we (Boisy's crew) have found some
hardware won't format a disk at 2MHz and have changed the code so that
the Coco slows down during format. Earlier versions of NitrOS-9 stay at
2MHz.

Keep in mind that the interleave value can be changed in both Disk Basic
and OS-9. So, if you think that may be the critical parameter, try
formatting disks with a different value. Larger values of interleave may
be easier for the drive. Values larger than 3 or 4 should not make any
difference.

Do both drives have this problem? Have the drive speeds been checked
either with software or with the strobe markings? Are the head slides in
the drives clean?