[Coco] [Color Computer] Re:Offtopic - Zeta

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Aug 17 15:44:19 EDT 2005

James

No doubt that the 68K liine of processors are older. They are still a viable product
for those that still want a CISC processor over that of RISC. Just looking at a 1999
PCN, I notice the die size for the 68000 is 147.2x163.3 mils. That seems to be twice
as small as I remember when I disected one in the early 80's.  So it does appear
that there has been some die shrinks since inception. That helps cost.

As for what Freescale does now is up to them. When Freescale was part of
Motorola SPS, their roadmap was kind of controlled from corparate headquarters.
Being their own company now they can go in directions they feel is necessary to
maintain and grow the business. Still their main goal is to compete and dominate
the embedded market. Intel has not seen fit to compete heavily in that field. I guess
the big players are Hitachi, Freescale, AMD, and St Micro. MicroChip is competeing
in the small RISC dedicated processors.

I guess the players left in the PC market are Intel, AMD, and IBM.

Looks as if  they are going to break out the 32 bit market with many flavors of the
coldfire as they have with the HC11/12 line of microprocessors.

james