[Coco] Re: Help - There that got your attention.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Aug 15 04:02:32 EDT 2005

On Sunday 14 August 2005 23:29, Dave Kelly wrote:
>Brett K Heath wrote:
>> Video streams in linux?
>>
>> google on the following names
>>
>> cinelerra
>> (a full blown quicktime based recording and post production facility)
>
>I had this up and running just before I went to supper. Could not figure
>how to make it reconize my video capture card.
>
>> transcode
>> (a modular and very flexible command line tool that can do capture,
>> denoise, encoding, translation between various codecs and container
>> formats, and a few dozen other things)
>
>Have this but it did not show  up in a search using 'apropos'.
>
>> VideoLan
>> (A set of tools designed to do network video streaming under linux)
>
>Have this. Been working most of the day trying to get it to access my
>video capture card.
>
>> I'm most familiar with transcode and cinelerra (cinelerra is the
>> successor to Broadcast 2000).
>
>This is the third flavor of linux I have tried to run Cinelerra  on and
>still have not been successful.
>Transcode: I don't need to edit anything. What I need to do is take the
>image from my camera and give it directly to you over the internet.
>
>My camera is a Sony Hi8 camcorder.  No USB. My TV capture card is
>Hauppage Win. Uses 'bttv' driver. I have 2 computers with Sempron 1.6
>CPUs and 1 gig memory chips. I have a 200gig HD I can install in 1 if
>needed. Sound will be added later when I get the video tested.
>
>I have had success with 'camstream' and 'webcam'. But they can only
>upload an image every 1 second and that looks kind of jerky.
>
>If you were going to use transcode, how would you construct your command
>line?
>
>> The real problem is that unless you have a hardware encoder or a truly
>> monster machine you have to capture raw, and this eats disk space at
>> an incredible rate (we're talking tens of gigabytes an hour, or more).
>
>As I stated above, this needs to pass as straight through as possible.
>Real time.

Unforch, based on 24 bit RGB color, realtime equals around 50 megs/second,
sustained.  Your net connection is not going to be that wide, an uplink
over an adsl circuit won't be at more than 100kbytes a second typically.
So you must have at least a firewire interface from the camera to the
computer, and computer horsepower enough to take that 50 megs/second and
make mpg out of it in realtime.  Those Sempron 1.6ghz boxes will be short
in the encoding to mpg thruput dept by quite a bit.  Your only route to
success is a video capture card with a hardware mpg encoder on it, and
AFAIK, no Happauge card has that.

We tried some rather pricey ($1500 a copy) canopus cards a couple of years
ago that claimed to be able to do that, but despite some rather heroic
efforts on the part of the canopus coders, they never were able to
achieve a video stream out of them that could be played back on the
industry standard Vela card, or on the commercial servers that were 100%
compatible with the output of that $14,000 Vela card.  Based on their
claims of compatibility, we had bought 14 of these cards, so we (wdtv)
took quite a bath on that project.

Today, to do this, we would do as we are doing now, and use the Pioneer
DVD recorder.  I don't know what its selling for today, under $700 I'd
guess, but it has no output available at the video stream to/from the
disk, only ntsc video/audio in and out.  But, the burned disk it makes
could certainly be imported if the computers dvd player has digital i/o
(something hollywood has nightmares about because it means their dvd
releases are on the net for download an hour after the first sale).  The
data rate there can be as little as 4 megs a minute.  Data quality is
very good s-vhs.  dd would be used to pull the data from the dvd, and
some data manipulation might have to be done, but its worth the try to
find out if it can be made to work.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)