[Coco] Re: Help - There that got your attention.

Dave Kelly daveekelly at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 14 23:29:39 EDT 2005

Brett K Heath wrote:

> Video streams in linux?
>
> google on the following names
>
> cinelerra
> (a full blown quicktime based recording and post production facility)

I had this up and running just before I went to supper. Could not figure
how to make it reconize my video capture card.

> transcode
> (a modular and very flexible command line tool that can do capture,
> denoise, encoding, translation between various codecs and container
> formats, and a few dozen other things)

Have this but it did not show  up in a search using 'apropos'.
> VideoLan
> (A set of tools designed to do network video streaming under linux)

Have this. Been working most of the day trying to get it to access my
video capture card.

> I'm most familiar with transcode and cinelerra (cinelerra is the successor
> to Broadcast 2000).

This is the third flavor of linux I have tried to run Cinelerra  on and
still have not been successful.
Transcode: I don't need to edit anything. What I need to do is take the
image from my camera and give it directly to you over the internet.

My camera is a Sony Hi8 camcorder.  No USB. My TV capture card is
Hauppage Win. Uses 'bttv' driver. I have 2 computers with Sempron 1.6
CPUs and 1 gig memory chips. I have a 200gig HD I can install in 1 if
needed. Sound will be added later when I get the video tested.

I have had success with 'camstream' and 'webcam'. But they can only
upload an image every 1 second and that looks kind of jerky.

If you were going to use transcode, how would you construct your command
line?

> The real problem is that unless you have a hardware encoder or a truly
> monster machine you have to capture raw, and this eats disk space at an
> incredible rate (we're talking tens of gigabytes an hour, or more).

As I stated above, this needs to pass as straight through as possible.
Real time.

Thanks for your feedback.
Dave