[Coco] Re: Help - There that got your attention.

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sat Aug 13 15:10:04 EDT 2005

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 23:56:27 -0500
> From: Dave Kelly <daveekelly at earthlink.net>
> Subject: [Coco] Help  - There that got your attention.
> To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>
> I am preparing for the video streaming of the Chicago Fest in 2006. I
> have got a good camcorder working that will zoom and take fairly good
> closeups. I have the microphones and mixer so the demo and simanars can
> be heard. But I need some help.
>
> I can not find software that will upload the captured images frames
> faster that one per second. Currently  I use the image capture testing
> software set at 10 frames per second but it only  uploads at 1 capture
> per second.
>
> Audio needs to be sync'ed somewhere close to video.
>
> At the end of  the fest last year several of you had ask to see if real
> time broadcasting could be achived. I   just not finding much and
> thought I would turn to you.
>
> Can you help? Suggestions. An asprin.

Dave, have you thought about doing an analog capture to AVI or similar
format (with audio), then converting that to whatever you want (mpeg,
mpeg2, divx, etc)? No, it won't be "digital", but once you get
everything compressed, remixed, and resized - it probably won't look
much different for the end result anyhow.

You don't tell us what camera you are using, what interface you are
using, nor what software you are using. You seem to be using some form
of Linux, but you don't tell us what distribution and version, etc.

I agree with Gene's response that real time upload with compression is
not going to be possible without a hefty machine and firewire. Just to
upload raw will still require firewire, as USB is too slow. Strangely, I
would think you would get better than 1 frame per second even at 640x480
resolution capture (anything larger and it goes downhill quickly, which
is why you see USB webcams that only capture in QVGA res that fast).

Personally, I would go with an analog real-time capture with a Hauppage
card to AVI or similar format. Do your editing, mixing, and effects (you
will still need a hefty machine - moving around tons of data here) on
the raw format, then once you have your master, compress that down to
the codec format of your choice (and go have some lunch while it
churns). Then burn it to VCD/DVD...

Andrew Ayers
Glendale (Phoenix), Arizona