[Coco] [Color Computer] 1.44 disk

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Aug 3 06:55:01 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 03:18, Bob Devries wrote:
>Stacey,m you said:
>> can u use 1.44 diskettes in a 720k drive   will they work
>
>The answer is YES, but with some reservations. The data retentions
> is not nearly as reliable as with the proper 720k disks. You may
> lose your data.
>
>Regards, Bob Devries

My experince here is that when an HD disk being formatted at 720k, the
retention of the data is so poor in the drives I have, 3 samples in 2
different versions of the 20 dollar replacement drive you can get at
circuit city, will fail, sometimes during the formatting, but
certainly during the verify done after the format while the format
program is building a bit allocation map to be written starting on
sector 2.

Put a DD diskette in and it works perfectly.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)