[coco] 6309 speed

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Aug 3 06:40:43 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 00:55, RJRTTY at aol.com wrote:
>    Does anybody know or has anybody tried to find the top
>speed of the 6309?   If they have been made with updated
>processes shouldn't they be capable of higher clock speeds?
>Even if Hitachi rates them at 1-3 Mhz has anybody actually
>tried them to see how fast they can go?
>
>Roy

Having looked at the waveforms coming out of it and finding that edge
transitions are in the 10 nanosecond territory, my guess is that it
could probably go quite a it faster, possibly as high as 20-30 mhz.
The only thing that would worry me is that there are some glitches on
the address lines that would, if they occur a fixed time after a
clock transition, begin to impinge on the memories 'setup' time when
the clock speeds rise.

Obviously to me, the gime chip would be the speed limiting factor.

Sockmaster has a circuit that runs it at 2x normal clocking for those
non-memory access cycles.  If I were to build this, I might crank it
up even more, but in the coco, (or coco3) with its married to the
video gime or 6847 to deal with, 2x is probably the practical limit.
That, the 6309 I have could do and still run at room temperature.
Mine has an external psu, and in a 24/7 situation, only has a rise of
about 2 degrees, over the 2 megs of ram in it, even if you throw a
blanket over the whole thing.

Change of subject:

Since I'm here,and posting to maltedmedia, George Ramsower seems to
have dropped off somehow, and I'm getting bounce messages listing his
address as 'no such recipient' at Ramsower at five.pairlist.net.
Dennis, can you take a look please?

--
Cheers, Gene