FORTHs was Re: [Color Computer] [Coco] Re: CoCo USB

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Tue Aug 2 04:22:04 EDT 2005

>From: "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger at pobox.com>
>Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 08:46:12 -0700

>I'd guess these are all Fig Forths or Forth-79, at best Forth-83. The
>current standard is ANS (94) Forth. But that probably doesn't matter too
>much since very few Coco programmers know Forth.

I'm fairly sure both DACFORTH and Frank Hogg's FORTH are Forth-83.
And I believe at least CF83 (one of the ones on RTSI in RSDOS) is also
Forth-83.

>It is probably important though that source be available. Do you know if
>the source is available for any of these (the core, I mean... unless

I'm pretty sure DACForth came with full source, but it's been a long
time since I messed with it.  (IIRC it does, but for some weird
assembler...) CF83 does have full source, it's from the BDS C guy, if
that means anything to you.

More annoyingly (to me, anyway) all the non-OS9 Forths were built for
the CoCo 1/2, and draw text, slowly, on a PMODE 4 screen.  I'd be much
more interested in one using the 80-column CoCo 3 text screen.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
   --- Yacko