FORTHs was Re: [Color Computer] [Coco] Re: CoCo USB

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Aug 1 13:05:14 EDT 2005

On 1 Aug 2005 at 8:46, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:

Subject:        	Re: FORTHs was Re: [Color Computer] [Coco] Re: CoCo
USB
From:           	"John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger at pobox.com>
To:             	CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
<coco at maltedmedia.com>
Date sent:      	Mon, 01 Aug 2005 08:46:12 -0700
Send reply to:  	jhoger at pobox.com,
	CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
<coco at maltedmedia.com>
	<mailto:coco-
	<mailto:coco-

> On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 02:17 -0600, Willard Goosey wrote:
>
> > There's three in ftp://os9archive.rtsi.com/RSDOS/LANGUAGE
> >
> > DACFORTH is buried in the old Princeton archive on maltedmedia in
> > ftp://ftp.maltedmedia.com/coco/princeton_coco_files/
> >
> > forth09 for OS9 is in
> > ftp://ftp.maltedmedia.com/coco/princeton_os9_files/
> >
> > Frank Hogg had a FORTH system... I know he dumped all his old FLEX
> > stuff into the PD, what about his coco stuff?
> >

> I'd guess these are all Fig Forths or Forth-79, at best Forth-83. The
> current standard is ANS (94) Forth. But that probably doesn't matter
> too much since very few Coco programmers know Forth.

*******

I beleive the Frank Hogg Labs Forth for the Color Computer running under FLex is
to Forth 79 standard.

Toyed a bit with it. It surprised me that it is somewhat quick in execusion of its code.
Then again the addressing modes of the 6809 lend itself nicely to Forth.

Not to familiar with Forth but I would like to spend some time learing Forth better.

james