[Coco] Modem ISP Problem MORE INFO

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sat Aug 27 21:24:28 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/27/05 12:43:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jdaggett at gate.net writes:

>All  modems manufactured after about t 1999 were flashable to change to
V.90,
>KFLEX and other protocols that might arouse.

My PC's simple diagnostic window reports that the modem's Flash Date is
2/16/2001.
It does v42BIS data compression (should I turn this off?), v80, and some
others that the little window can't show.
Protocol is LAPM and SREJ.

Due to an incredible WIndows bug (there's an oxy for you), I can't swipe  and
blacken the text in that window and paste it into this mail, but am typing
it from my digital camera view (a great way to save screens).

>In  dialup service using PPP you do not have to have compression turned on
in the
>modem to connect to the ISP. PPP already does compression and if you  do
>compression in the modem, the ISP modems may not recognize the  compression
>technique

I may try turning off the modem's compression, see whether that enables the
broken sites or disables the working ones.  Assuming that AOL even uses  PPP,
though recent versions of AOL seem to work thru Windows modes rather than
against them.

I did call the numbers and listen.  No noise heard, but the "bad"  sites have
a different second sound than the good one.  All start with an  ethereal
flute tone with a rhythmic tick-tick background, then go to a second  sound and
several pure tones thereafter.  These sequences are the same for  the bad sites
and different from the good site.

So the sites are probing for different protocols or features.  Now if  I
could find the local shop that maintains the modem banks to explain things to  me,
it would really help.  Telling all this to AOL would be like reading a
calculus text to a 2-year-old.  Would at least put him to sleep.
--Mike K.