[Coco] booting OS9 from hard drive

Vern Burke vburke at skow.net
Thu Aug 25 18:20:43 EDT 2005

Ok, now I'm getting somewhere (I just have no idea where I'm actually
getting <L>). I have a working OS9 boot floppy with working access to my
SCSI hard drive (Cloud 9 TCCC SCSI controller). Now I want to get set up
so I'm booting as much as possible from the hard drive. This is what
I've done so far:

Modified the floppy os9boot with ezgen so that the dd descriptor is the
hard drive.

Modified the floppy os9boot with ded to change one reference to d0 in
init and two references to d0 in cc3go to dd.

(all modules ident correctly with good CRC's)

The hard drive contains a cmds directory with shell and grfdrv in it.
All permissions set properly, shell module verified working, grfdrv
copied from the working boot floppy.

Startup file temporarily removed for testing.

In theory this should be able to start the boot from the floppy and
finish from the hard drive. What actually happens is that the boot
starts, accesses the hard drive, and then goes to "BOOT FAILED" before
the copyright message.

What the heck am I missing here? Is the boot process demanding something
else besides shell and grfdrv?

Vern