[Coco] Hidden 256-color mode

Nickolas Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Mon Aug 1 15:46:54 EDT 2005

Mark Marlett wrote:
I have had several Emails with Dale. He contacted us through the Cloud-9
web site. He has no info on the GIME and his contact, which he wouldn't
name said that he had no info either. Here is Dale's Email at my last
contact.
"Dale Chatham" <dale.chatham at 4dv.net

Nick Replies:
Thanks Mark, every bit helps. I can send him an e-mail but before I do,
when did you last "speak" to him? Did he see the copy of the official
Tandy R&D document on my web site? If he was Director of Hardware
Engineering, I would assume that he would have seen this document.
Understandably, it was a long time and he may have forgotten. I guess he
would have been involved with the Tandy 1000 range so it is possible
that there are too many details for him to remember from so far back.

When I first came into contact with my "informant" from Tandy who told
me about the 256 color mode, I was at first cautious about what he said.
What had got me interested is the fact that John Kowalski had noted the
possibility of such a mode by analyzing the GIME block diagram in the
Tandy service manual BEFORE we even came into contact with this "informant".

What capped it off was when Mark Hawkins (ex Microware) gave me a copy
of the Tandy R&D document, an official document that clearly shows that
the mode was in the original design.

The big question is whether the mode was completely removed from
production GIME's or merely "hidden" as my informant claims. This secret
mode has really gotten my interest in the past few years and has almost
become a personal quest to find it.  :)

Nickolas Marentes