[Color Computer] Still more CoCo USB Was:[Coco] Re: Coco Digest, Vol 22, Issue 145

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 1 00:00:03 EDT 2005

> A USB floppy ,mouse or even harddrive would work but not driving
> something like a modern inkjet printer.    If I remember
> right somebody years ago back on the old princeton list wrote a driver
> for the coco3 to use such a printer to do high resolution screen
> dumps with a serial to parallel
> converter..     I know it took an obsurd amount of time tho I
> cant remember exactly how much.     I know a 100Mhz 486
> takes about 10 to 15 seconds to do each pass of the printer
> head so a coco3 would probably be well over an hour per page.
>
> Roy

Well, the 486 is doing much more than just sending data to the
printer.  It's building an image the resolution of the printer in RAM
and then dumping it using the Windows printer driver.

I'd like to see the source for that driver, it could be usefull.
I have no idea how long the CoCo would take to do it but it would be
faster than that old driver.  The serial port was the limiting factor
with the old driver.  With USB the CPU would become the limiting factor.

">Get Bzzzy! (real tools to help you find a job) Welcome to the Sweet Life - brought to you by One Economy</a>.</font>