[Coco] Re: Re: Re: CoCo emulator for Pocket PC

Albert Stinger albertstinger24 at canada.com
Thu Apr 28 17:26:07 EDT 2005

Sound cools. I hope you get er done.

"John Hogerhuis" <jhoger at gmail.com> wrote in
message news:dd8f98f4050428142268b81863 at mail.gmail.com...
On 4/28/05, Albert Stinger
<albertstinger24 at canada.com> wrote:
> If that's what you want to do, is write a BSD style licensed coco
> emulator.
> What platform will you target, or will you make a multi-target platform
> emulator?  If you know the C language you could get the dragon emulator
> source code.  I think the coco's inside of mess started with this source
> code, but I could be wrong.

All theoretical vaporware (can't commit to anything right now), but
I'm a C and assembly programmer, so if I were to do it, I would write
it in a mix of C and assembly, and the assembly would come as
optimizations after the C code is written. Would pattern the
architecture after QEMU, a portable PC emulator featuring dynamic code
translation (that means blocks of 6809 code would mapped to fast code
for host CPU, rather than translating every instruction every time).
License would be GPL for my parts, more free licenses (as in BSD style
license) for everything else. I prefer the GPL, because it achieves
the goal that redistributors (in particular commercial interests) must
supply the source code, and any mods they make, if those they
distribute to ask for it.

What's the license on the Dragon emu source?

The goal for me would be either a real (a new or off-the-shelf
hardware design) or virtual coco 4 (i.e. a stand-alone emulator that
runs in place of the OS or as the primary interface to an existing OS,
booting from CD, compactflash, or running in place from industrial
flash), so whatever is considered  a nice platform for that... maybe
some laptop or palmtop with a power-miser CPU.

-- John.