[Coco] RE: [Color Computer] Linux a cousin to OS-9

Jan Vanden Bossche jan80 at scarlet.be
Mon Apr 25 19:46:05 EDT 2005

Hallo

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Pepe" <lamune at doki-doki.net>

> Not to continue this off-topic rant, but you toss around Microsoft and
> monopoly like it's some kind of "fact".
>
> Microsoft is not a monopoly: Sorry to burst your bubble.

So, 95% of the microcomputers sold in the world, running a MS OS, isn't a
monopoly ? How high do you want it to go before it is ?

> Sure the store-bought machines probably all had DOS or Windows on them,
> but Microsoft couldn't stop you from buying the parts off the shelf
> and building your own PC without their cruft pre-loaded on it.

Oh come on. People on tis list are computer savvy. How many ordinary user
would/could do that ? Nowadays, you pay more if you build yourself, than if
you buy e.g. Dell.

> Just because they're big and powerful doesn't mean they're a monopoly.

No, you also have to look at market share. And MS has it.

> Nobody from Redmond is pointing a gun at my head and telling me what I
> should run on my PC.

They are pointing the gun at your suppliers. See my other messages. Read the
web. Plenty of examples.

> -Mike

Greetings from the TyRannoSaurus
Jan-80