[Coco] RE: [Color Computer] Linux a cousin to OS-9

Jan Vanden Bossche jan80 at scarlet.be
Mon Apr 25 19:02:53 EDT 2005

Hallo

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glen VanDenBiggelaar" <glenvdb at hotmail.com>

> >Windows has not been a help to the Tech world its been a hindrance
>
> Really? I honestly think without Microsoft, there would be no Tech
industry!

MS made a monoculture out of the tech world. Not a good thing.

> >>That is the real issue here and that is money.  With something like
> >Linux it hinders MS's monopoly.
>
> I think it is actually forcing Microsoft to improve its products.

It should, but MS isn't. They are using more and more proprietary technology
to lock out other systems/programs to interact with theirs.

> I also think that if it were a "Real threat" because it is free, than
> Microsoft would not have any market share at all, because why would
> anybody pay for something when its free.

Wrong logic. You forget what impact MS already had on the microcomputer
industry since Windows 3.1. MS has been conveying the message that the only
thing that's running right on a MS OS, is a MS application. So people have
invested a lot of money and time and effort in MS products, producing
billions of files and infrmation. And now they are locked in.

IT departments all over the world realise how they are trapped by MS. We do.
For the sake of their users, for the sake of 'compatibility', they can't
break out, because MS doesn't allow it, because they didn't use open
standards, and - even though they claim to be THE standard - they didn't
publish theirs.

> I think Microsoft has proven that "just
> because something is free, everyone will use it" is false.

If you live on an island, without any history, that is true. But nobody is,
anymore. And everybody has some files that they want to read again, later
on.

> In this day and age the phrase "you get what you pay for" is 99%. true

No, the reason you state, MS quality software, isn't the reason. The reason
is user lock-in. MS has taken us hostage, all of us.

Greetings from the TyRannoSaurus
Jan-80

Yahoo! Groups Links