[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Sad News For Canadian's

Glen VanDenBiggelaar glenvdb at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 25 17:04:14 EDT 2005

I have to agree dave,
If you were fortunate to be a teen in the '80s, The local Shack was so much
more than "just a store" in many ways it was a "first" computer club and if
you had a good owner that didn't chase the kids out, you got so much more
there. From my first "Science Fair" project kit (i had many) to my rocket
supplies (engines and such) to our first remote control cars. If you had a
good owner, late at night, before the mall was closing, we would have RC
races with the trucks. We could actually play with the computers, and on
Weekends we all would be huddled around the CoCo at the back, while someone
was demonstrating the latest games or software that they had written.
All the free battieries, my god, sometimes those were the only batteires in
the house. It was a hang out for kids, and that proved to be many sales for
the owner.

-Glen

>Never got any free batteries at the computer clubs I belonged to....
>
>:-)
>
>Cheers Dave
>
>--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, James Dessart <james at s...> wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Glen VanDenBiggelaar wrote:
> >
> > > We never had a Circut City here in Edmonton, but you are right, it
> > > just looks like another Future Shop/Best Buy store. But it is still
> > > sad to see them go, they were an institution when I was growing up.
> > > How many times my Mom was shopping at Safeway, and we (me and my
> > > brother) ditched her to go see what was new at the Shack.
> >
> > On the other hand, it's just a company, and never had anyone's
>interests
> > in mind but their own. Now something like a homebrew computer
>club... that
> > would be sad to see lost. :)
> >
> > James
>

>Brought to you by the 6809, the 6803 and their cousins!
>Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links