[Coco] overdrive ...

Kevin Diggs kevdig at hypersurf.com
Mon Apr 25 14:39:33 EDT 2005

Hi,

jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
> Kevin
>
> Exchanging data between the data bus sof the 6809 and the 68000
> will need other than just syncing clocks. You would need some
> bridge circuit that would allow the two data busses to be isolated yet
> allow either to send data across. This is essentially what the PC
> clones do in the north bridge and sout bridge chip sets. Logic that
> allows data to flow from one data buss to another data buss.
>
> A simple bridge would be a dual port ram. This will allow either CPU
> to pass data between the two data busses. There also needs to be a
> protocol for exchange of data.
>
> james

	I know you can't just hook them together, but wouldn't the design of
the interface/bridge be simplified if you did not have to deal with the
two clocks being asynchronous?

	A dual port ram would chew up lots of addresses on both sides, right?
Could some kind of FIFO thing be used that would use minimal addresses
on the coco/6809 side? Don't really care about the 68k side. One of the
alternate address spaces could be used.

	Didn't the plcc (or other square/non-dip) version of the 68008 address 4M?

					kevin
					kevin