[Coco] [Color Computer] The evolution of the Coco..

David golgotha at toughguy.net
Mon Apr 25 02:38:29 EDT 2005

Dave wrote:

>John, agreed, from what I've read, OS-9 and NitoSO-9 are Unix clones
>their own right...and I haven't had time to build the disks yet and
>give them a spin....
>The Minix project looks intersting and something I would fire up on my
>old STE to have look at.....
>Thanks for the info....!
>Cheers Dave
>
>--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "John R. Hogerhuis"
><jhoger at p...> wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 18:56 +0000, Dave wrote:
>>

>>>I micro-unix for the CoCo would be cool in my books... :-)
>>>

>>I believe the compiler that is used to build Tanenbaum's Minix has a
>>6809 target. Maybe it would "just work" with just serial port or a
>>console I/O driver adapted to the coco.
>>
>>But then OS-9 would probably fit a broad definition of "micro unix."
>>
>>-- John.

I know this is probably a no-no, but has anyone considered some sort of
mini-DOS for the coco? something along the lines of FreeDOS/MS-DOS
rather than the UNIX-style OS.. I ask this because OS9 has a high
learning curve as I see it, whereas I've always found DOS more
straight-forward (maybe it's just my heritage of cutting my teeth on DOS
3.3?)

I guess a decent C compiler and some work might have us a stripped
FreeDOS kernel running, but who knows?

Regards,
David