[Coco] RE: [Color Computer] Linux a cousin to OS-9

David golgotha at toughguy.net
Sun Apr 24 22:23:54 EDT 2005

James Jones wrote:

>Charles Richmond wrote:
>

>>I agree that Linux being free and open source is a wonderful thing!!!
>>
>>Also, you don't need MS Office...there is a work-alike on Linux
>>called StarOffice that will save and load MS Office files. So you can
>>run StarOffice on Linux and still exchange files with MS Office users.
>>

>Alas, StarOffice/OpenOffice's ability to accurately convert MS
>Office/Word files is not perfect...and it's in MS's interest to make
>sure it stays that way, to make life as difficult as possible for those
>who do not use MS software and make it as difficult as possible to
>switch from MS Office/Word to something else. Vide their efforts in the
>EU to get around the requirement to open their file formats.
>
>	James Jones

As an alternative to both, try Crossover Office - a Linux set of
libraries and API's that allows some commercial Windows software
(including Office, IE, Dreamweaver etc) to run under X-Windows on Linux
- its based on the WINE project, and is incredibly stable and mature -
its commercial, however.. but for those who simply must have the
original software, they can still GNOME or KDE it :)

- David