[Coco] RE: [Color Computer] Linux a cousin to OS-9

James Jones jamesjones01 at mchsi.com
Sun Apr 24 21:28:23 EDT 2005

Charles Richmond wrote:

> I agree that Linux being free and open source is a wonderful thing!!!
>
> Also, you don't need MS Office...there is a work-alike on Linux
> called StarOffice that will save and load MS Office files. So you can
> run StarOffice on Linux and still exchange files with MS Office users.

Alas, StarOffice/OpenOffice's ability to accurately convert MS
Office/Word files is not perfect...and it's in MS's interest to make
sure it stays that way, to make life as difficult as possible for those
who do not use MS software and make it as difficult as possible to
switch from MS Office/Word to something else. Vide their efforts in the
EU to get around the requirement to open their file formats.

	James Jones