[Coco] [Color Computer] The evolution of the Coco..

Kevin Diggs kevdig at hypersurf.com
Sun Apr 24 15:34:08 EDT 2005

Hi,

Glen VanDenBiggelaar wrote:
> Basil,
> I guess when you have been exposed to it the way I have, you just get
> bitter. I use to work in a small computer store as service manager, and
> EVERYDAY (YES- 6 DAYS A WEEK!), I would have these guys come in and try to
> "covert me", and the owner of the store and try to get us to sell Linux
> Pre-intstalled, and suport Linux Boxes. The simple fact is Microsoft, and my
> MSCE, feeds me, puts food on my table. It makes money for the store, and it
> sells computers, for people with families, it feeds the childeren and puts
> childeren through school. Dell has tried now twice to sell computers with
> Linux "pre-instaled" and has failed miserbly both times. I had the chance to
> become Redhat Certified for something like $5000. I would much rather use
> that kind of money to further enhance my MCSE, because the job market
> demands it. I have had  demontrations on many different flavors of Linux,
> you go to Technet and all the banner ads are now for Linux books. Linux is
> everywherw in the tech world, but nowhere in the real consumer world.
> I look on linux like the movie "Titanic" by James Cameron. I have never seen
> the movie because all the hype has turned me off so bad, I refuse to watch
> it. When I die, I want that writen on my grave stone "Refused to watch
> Titanic".
> When linux is mainstream, and customers like grandma's are useing linux, or
> if Redhat came to me and offerd certification for free, then I will start
> learning it, but for now, I see it like something that is dead, but refuses
> to be burried.
> -but thats way off the topics here,
> -Glen

	I felt the same way about the Titanic movie. Then I saw it on sale for
$10 (DVD). It is actually a pretty good movie. Find something else to
put on your tombstone and watch it. Seriously.

	Get use to coexisting with Linux. It is not going anywhere. The
useability gap is going to slowly narrow.

	I don't know what is going to happen to companies like RedHat. I am
talking about companies that went public trying to sell something that
is largely free (at least the core kernel). Can someone explain why or
how this could possibly work long term? A lot of pressure to constantly
increase revenues. Isn't most of the cost advantage gone with  RedHat's
enterprise offering?

	In theory, competition is a good thing. So the mere existence of Linux
puts alot of pressure on Microsoft to put out better products. How
stable do you think their current OS would be if Linux never existed?
They are now looking over their shoulder (or more accurately, trying to
catch up). I all but guarantee you that Linux's existence has made your
life easier by improving the quality of their products (and made them
MUCH more responsive when something like a security flaw shows up).

	And I hope you continue to make a good living with MS.

					kevin