[Coco] [Color Computer] The evolution of the Coco..

Dave dx375 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 24 15:01:31 EDT 2005

Glen, yep, remember reading something along those lines many moons
ago....
Microsoft did dabble in "real" OS's at some point in the past ;-)
j/k!
I did like playing with OS/2 in my pre-NT days also....but it was a
^@%$#^ to install.....
And NT3.x was a pain in the @55 with the inumerable service
packs.....(history continues to repeat on that one)
Cheers Dave

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "Glen VanDenBiggelaar"
<glenvdb at h...> wrote:

> Dave,
> More people will correct me if I am wrong, but Xienx was orginaly
> Microsoft product:
> a google search pulled this:
> In the late 1970's Microsoft licensed UNIX source code from AT&T
which at
> the time was not licensing the name UNIX. Therefore Microsoft
created the
> name Xenix. Microsoft did not sell Xenix to end-users but instead
licensed
> the software to software OEMs such as Intel, Tandy, Altos and SCO
who then
> provided a finished version of their own Xenix to the end-users or
other
> customers.
>
> SCO introduced its first version of Xenix named SCO Xenix System V
for the
> Intel 8086 and 8088 in 1983. Today SCO Xenix is one of the more
commonly
> used and found versions of Xenix.
>
> -Glen
> >

> >H'mmnn...Xenix.....the TRS line used that particular OS at some
> >point...
> >
> >I still have my unused copy of SCO 286 Xenix in storage in the
> >basement but have nothing to run it on....oh well :-(
> >
> >Does anyone remember the Mark Williams package called
> >Coherent...another Unix clone and the first one I learned Unix on
> >after college.....
> >
> >And didn't Wally-Mart offer Linux boxes in the States?
> >
> >Cheers Dave
> >

> >--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "Glen VanDenBiggelaar"
> ><glenvdb at h...> wrote:
> > >
> > > John (and the rest)
> > > Don't get me wrong. I know that CoCo/ XP platform will never
work,
> >XP is so
> > > bloated that you could nevre shrink the kernal to fit it that
> >small. Not
> > > even NT (NT 4, which to this day is probaly one of MS most
stable
> >products
> > > in my opinion). I am just stating that no mater where I go,
Linux
> >is being
> > > stated as "The holy Grail" of the IT world, by the zelots out
> >there (and I
> > > am not saying anyone here is a Zelot). UNIX itself if not even
> >being
> > > debated- just Linux. I would love to see MS bring back Xenix-
(buy
> >back the
> > > rights). My opinoin (and its just mine) is -I am not going
forced
> >into a
> > > product that is taking the market by about 3-5% a year, and
> >the "big"
> > > computer manufactures (Dell, IBM, etc) have no confidence in
the
> >product on
> > > the consumer level. I know you might say that this is because
> >lisensing
> > > parterships with Bill and the boys), but the average consumer
is
> >the one
> > > still who does have the final say.
> > >
> > > BTW - I do know this will get me in a bit of trouble, but keep
in
> >mind, its
> > > just an opinion, If Mac hadn't used A flavour of Linux of OS
10,
> >it would
> > > even be less popular, because the Mac people really had no
choice
> >except to
> > > stay with OS9.

> >make
> >myself,

> >Brought to you by the 6809, the 6803 and their cousins!
> >Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links