[Coco] The evolution of the Coco..

Nickolas Marentes nick at launch.net.au
Sat Apr 23 06:23:03 EDT 2005

>> STEVE BJORK:
>> Nick, I see you like my idea for a from our conversation last weekend.
(The CoCofest chat)

Like "your" idea? I've had that idea LONG before you and I ever discussed it
and I'm sure someone on this list who can recall my earlier postings over a
year ago could vouch for that...but if you get a kick out of it, fine, let's
call it "your" idea.   :)

I don't like the idea of simply a PC that runs an emulator. It *is*  more
convenient and from software we can create anything, but it will never be a
CoCo. It doesn't have that same unique identity. I guess it's like a soul
with no body. It will always be a PC running an emulation of a
CoCo3/4...just as it could emulate a Commodore 64, Atari 800 or whatever! It
holds no unique preference.

"My" original idea was to remove the PC software aspect and replace it with
a unique new BIOS boot. Yes, it's still an emulation BUT it cannot run
anything else. It can only do a CoCo3/4.

Even this doesn't qualify as a true CoCo4 using my loose definition
described above but it's as close as we can get unless someone has the time
and money to invest in new custom hardware design for a CoCo4 that about 50
people would buy.

Cloud 9's Superboard is a great example of a CoCo3 Plus or CoCo3 Enhanced
and it retains the spirit of a CoCo3.

>>There is no need to reprogram the BIOS, just have it boot the emulator
from
>>a hard drive, CD-ROM or Flash Memory. Yes, flash memory.

I don't like the idea of booting from a hard drive or CD-ROM. I think it
would be nice to retain one of the unique features that most pre-PC
computers had....instant power-up boot from ROM. Yes, flash memory would
give us that. But when the BIOS idea first entered my mind (being careful
how I say this!), PC's couldn't boot to any device other than hard disk,
floppy or CD-ROM. The Flash RAM boot is relatively new and is an extension
of the BIOS boot idea. This would open the door to a myriad of other
emulations such as a Commodore's and Atari's. Just insert the flash ram
personality module!

Unfortunately, now it starts to lose it's identity as being uniquely CoCo
and more of a generic emulation platform. Maybe I'm being too CoCo
religious.   :)

We need to talk to David Keil about his newly updated DOS based CoCo3
emulator to see how easily it could be converted to a self booting
BIOS/FLASH RAM format? He may be able to rewrite his own code to replace any
MS-DOS reliances.

>>STEVE BJORK:
>>True, there is not much work in the way of hardware.  But my idea included
>>expanding the emulator specs (both hardware and CPU) for new Video Display
>>modes, better sound, 21th century hardware devices and a few other
>>interfaces like network and Internet.  That is where the true work will
be.

Maybe it best to limit the initial development to work as a CoCo3 with the
option of running at a MUCH faster clock speed  and VGA output in a "pizza
box" case with a detachable PS/2 keyboard.

Next, the CoCo community would decide what features a CoCo4 should have and
these can then be added to the CoCo3 emulation and create a CoCo4 that is
backward compatible with the CoCo3.

>>STEVE BJORK:
>>But a Nano-ATX (like the one I talk about) would fit better in a coco3
>>case. (Most Micro-ATX boards are too wide.)

I haven't had a good look at a Nano-ATX board yet. They're not as common and
cost more. Nano-ATX would be better as far as fitting it into a CoCo3 case.
I personally like the idea of taking a Micro-ATX case and have the front
plastic front recreated with a unique CoCo4 design.

>>STEVE BJORK:
>>Your outlandish ideas?  It's not your idea nor is it outlandish.
>>I may not be the first to have this idea, but it have not been even 7 days
>>since we talk and your not giving credit where credit is due.

Do I sense a disturbance in the force? Why do I feel that you are punishing
me? I didn't realize that it was that important to you?

Ok, let me make this very clear...

IT WAS *STEVE BJORK'S* IDEA OF USING FLASH RAM TO
BOOT A COCO4 EMULATOR.

HE MENTIONED THIS TO ME A WEEK AGO.

Signed: Nickolas Marentes  (23rd April, 2005)

But, I am a simple man with a small ego and am quite happy to palm off such
trivial pursuits to those that value such things.  :)

Thanks for the feedback Steve.

We don't hear much of you in recent years but it's reassuring to see that
you haven't changed much since the glory days and that you continue to
provide us with your wisdom and guidance.

Nickolas Marentes