[Coco] [Color Computer] What are "sprites"?

Steve Bjork 6809er at etechwds.com
Fri Apr 22 21:14:52 EDT 2005

George,

Sprites are small graphic images that are display over the background
graphic image. (Such as space ship, jumping men and anything else that
moves around independent of the background image.)  On most sprite system,
you just load up the sprite memory with the image and tell it where it
should be placed and then the hardware displays the image over the background.

In the case of a standard bit map display (like the coco) the image must be
drawn on the background and then removed every game frame.  This drawing
and removing is about 50% of the work in most CoCo games.

Every game system from the Atari 2600 to Super NES used sprites to speed up
their game graphics.

Steve