[Coco] [Color Computer] The evolution of the Coco..

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Fri Apr 22 16:21:03 EDT 2005

On Apr 22, 2005, at 12:35 PM, Mike Pepe wrote:

> I'd like to see a faster CoCo in the future. The stuff Cloud9 is doing
> is impressive but I think it might be in the wrong direction.

While I understand what you are driving at, let me say this:  the scope
of the SuperBoard is to give CoCo 3 users a quantum leap from what they
can do currently.  As the Cloud-9 motto says: "Cool Stuff For Your
CoCo" is exactly what we are creating here -- nothing more, nothing
less.  To say it is a wrong direction is not correct; I would call it a
migration path to a better machine without removing its heart and soul.

I would never refer to a CoCo 3 with the SuperBoard as a "CoCo 4".  At
most, I would call it a CoCo 3.5, or a CoCo 3+ :)

I like the post that Glen made about using an emulator.  I agree with
him -- if  you're going to CoCo, then why not use the real thing?  That
said, I've also made room in my development for the use of emulators;
I'm working with the MESS team to bring SuperBoard functionality to the
CoCo 3 emulator as a means of testing my system code for mouse and
keyboard drivers.  And I do use Linux (and MacOS!) to do my cross
development.

> The "C-64 on a chip" is probably the better direction to go.

I think that this can a viable solution.  The problem, as has been
pointed out many times, is implementing the full functionality of the
GIME.  I'm sure this can be overcome with some time, and I believe
there are a few on this list (James Daggett comes to mind) who are
charging ahead with this.

--
Boisy G. Pitre
E-Mail: boisy at boisypitre.com