[Coco] [Color Computer] The evolution of the Coco..

Glen VanDenBiggelaar glenvdb at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 22 14:46:46 EDT 2005

I have to kind of disagree with this, Mike does bring up a good point on
chip degridation, but an embeded computer solution with Mess, just seems to
me the same thing as what most of you are doing now with the "big
computers". It seems redudant. What Mark and Boisy are doing is the "pure
hobbiest" way of trying to make new hardware for the CoCo, not emulate.
Anybody can take the easy way out and emulate. It is trying to come up with
new hardware is the way to the future. Why go Linux? Why not just use true
OS-9 (or nitrOS-9)? I hate to start a flame war, but I see all too often the
Linux "Fanboys" just looking for an excuse to parade Linux around. This is
not a atack on Linux (or anybody in particular), but there are far too many
people just acheing for a reason to shove Linux in our faces (and MESS too,
for that Point).
JMHO
-Glen

>I think the C-One is very cool, but from a cost point of view wouldn't
>it be better to emulate the Coco CPU and hardware and use an
>off-the-shelf emebedded computer? Just add coco-special hardware like a
>cassette relay and a cartridge port and you're set.
>
>You could have it start up with a fairly standard ROM image in
>emulation. Then we could add gateway commands to let you get to the
>non-virtual hardware and (hopefully minimal OS).
>

>To some extent you could do this with a custom Linux distro that does
>very little init except launching MESS full screen. Then you add special
>BASIC commands/extensions that can gateway out to the foundation
>operating system. Sort of a coco "environment"
>
>Then the question becomes "why," a) because it's cool b) because the
>coco is a 6809 and i/o hardware (which all can be emulated well) but
>it's also a lot more. It's also about:
>
>1) Accessibility
>	Open hardware
>	Easy to understand manuals for the beginner
>	Easy/comfortable/encouraged to program yourself
>	Soothing nuclear green screen
>2) Standard
>	Everone is running the same, compatible hardware.
>3) Community/Support
>	Lots of other nice people and vendors
>	playing with the same hardware
>	(how to make coco popular again? Left for discussion)
>4) Low cost
>	Don't forget this. Coco4 needs to be relatively cheap.
>

>-- John.
>

>Brought to you by the 6809, the 6803 and their cousins!
>Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links