[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Digest Number 640

Ash teamick at cox.net
Fri Apr 22 12:10:30 EDT 2005

Could be , only i distinctly remember the uss vreeland. a nice little knox
class destroyer escort that we picked up
right out of the yards in louisanna.we went to gitmo for the shakedown
cruise. right in the middle of an excercise in which we dropped the load
(lost all power) and were supposed to restart engines, we found we couldn't
restart.
the emergency fuel oil pumps to the boilers which were supposed to be on the
emergency electrical circuits were not. they had been wired into the main
circuits. we had 2 lines of guys from the main deck to the pumps hand
cranking them, trying to raise enough oil pressure to get the boilers going.
this was in extreme heat of around 160 deg. guys were pucking up their guts
just waiting in line . 2 guys were cranking at a time on each pump and could
only last around 2-3 min . yours truely was in one of those lines . it
didn't work . the vreeland was adrift and we floated in towards cuba. we
were so close to going aground on the shore, it wasn't funny. we got lucky.
destroyer happened to be close by and came in, passed us a cable and towed
us back out to sea. castro almost had a brand new destroyer escort . the
bridge story could easily be a myth . I don't think the navy would spend
money on something like that . they would just do it if they wanted to. the
machine shop actually happened , i think .
I had a friend who was onboard when they found it . he said it was a mustang
officer in engineering , who first figured it out .