[Coco]: Tandy's biggest mistakes thread

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Thu Apr 21 19:02:12 EDT 2005

On Apr 21, 2005, at 10:18 AM, L. Curtis Boyle wrote:
>> 4) Tandy adopted 3rd party express order HARDWARE as well as
>> software.  I believe I bought my Disto Super Controller 2 (no halt
>> floppy!) through Radio Shack, if I recall.  That was a rather high
>> end disc controller for the day. There were a few other items there
>> that indicate Tandy was open to promoting the higher end side of the
>> CoCo.  Need we point out OS-9?
>     This didn't start till quite late (the Coco 2 was already out
> before Express Order started, meaning the Coco 1 had no such marketing
> for at least 3 years), and (here in Canada, at least), they would NOT
> carry any of the stock for it in store, nor would they advertise them
> (you had to ask for that specific catalog, and if you were Joe Blow
> off the streat who had never heard of Rainbow magazine to see ads, you
> would never know that these existed). So, if a customer walked into a
> store, they would know nothing about no-halt disk controllers, VIP
> Library, or anything else that was sold through Express Order.

Well, it was in the catalog here in the States.  Wasn't Radio Shack in
Canada pretty much a different company?  Weren't they "Tandy" stores or
something different?
--
	-- Allen ( www.disneyfans.com / www.atthefaire.com )

This mailbox 100% spam free (really!)  Try a free mailblocks account
and see for yourself!  http://www.qksrv.net/click-1434164-10298773