[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Is this a discussion about a new Coco?

Jim Cox jimcox at miba51.com
Thu Apr 21 12:06:06 EDT 2005

Mark McDougall:

Those are some great comments, and I couldn't agree with
your more.

People often ask me "why do you collect those ancient
comptuers?"  My reply is "why do people collect and work
on old cars"  In my opinion, it is for the exact same
reason, which is the very same reason you listed.  "For
the fun of it"

While I have been dragging my feet with respect to getting
going with the CoCo again, I am making progress.

The Superboard from Cloud-9 is like a blower for a 57
Chevy.  Is it necessary for every application?  No, but
it's cool and sounds like it will do a lot of things.  I
have made a down payment on at least one Superboard (maybe
two, need to check with Mark) and I plan to have a lot of
fun with my CoCo once it gets it's new "blower"

James does have some good points about the cost.  This is
a small niche market and not everyone can afford a
Superboard, so he has offered his opinion and he does have
some points.

A while back I purchased an "Ethernut" board to play
around with, and I have toyed with the idea of interfacing
it with the CoCo, and it is the Superboard that is
inspiring me to do this.

I compared the Superboard to a "blower" for a older car,
my Ethernut tweak or someone else tweaks, will be more
like boring out the carborator to get some more speed.
 Some of these tweaks will work and some won't, but
getting there will be fun, and that is what it is all
about.  BTW, the Ethernut is no cheap solution, and there
is a lot of developement time, but like I said, it's going
to be fun and I am looking forward to playing with both
the SuperBoard and the Ethernut and maybe a few other
things too.

Cheers!

-Jim