[Coco]: Tandy's biggest mistakes thread

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Apr 20 18:48:28 EDT 2005

Kevin

The current available parts on the market now,  5 to 7 Mhz is about max. Most will
do 3 MHz. Some might be pushed up to 7MHz. at above 2 to 3 MHz the chip needs
heat sinking or it will not last long.

If one were to take the time and redo the MPU on newer processes, 66 MHz would
not be a proble at all. Flint Weller in his doctorail thesis did a 6809E on Kawasaki
cmos_cba process and achieved speeds of 25 Mhz. That probably is 0.25 micron. If
one took care on some of the critical circuits that would affect propogation delay
that could easily be pushed to 66MHz.

I  have Flint Weller's VHDL code as well as John Kent's VHDL code and have
studied it a bit. John Kent's VHDL code in FPGA will run about 10 Mhz. There are
open cores for the Z80 that will run 35 MHz in a FPGA and at 100 MHz in 0.18
micron CMOS ASIC. Ideally one could get a MC6809/HD6309 core to run similar.

Also one must consider that a MPU like the 609 will run slower in a FPGA than is
actual dedicated silicon. J ust the nature of the designs.

james