[Coco]: Tandy's biggest mistakes thread

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Wed Apr 20 15:15:15 EDT 2005

    I am not so sure on the backwards compatibility. The 2 most successful
computer lineages on the planet (Intel DOS/Windows and Mac) are as large
of a market as they are BECAUSE they are backwards compatible. Even Apple,
when completely changing the CPU from 680x0 to PowerPC, wrote a very good
emulator to make sure one could still run old software. There was a 6809
emulator (Bob Santy's, I think?) written for the OSK 680x0 machines, but I
don't know how compatible it was with Coco sofware. The biggest contraint
on the Coco 3 hardware (and, ironically, also it's biggest boost) is the
GIME, and the fact that it is so tied down to the clock speed.
    In the TC-9's case, I think the two things that hindered it were:
1) The backwards compatibility (particularily RSDOS) wasn't ready when it
shipped (I had it, but it didn't work very well, or even at all,
sometimes), and
2) FHL was just too small of a company to try to make something to be a
sequel to a computer made by a company as large as Tandy/Radio Shack.

--
L. Curtis Boyle