[Coco]: Tandy's biggest mistakes thread

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Tue Apr 19 22:22:07 EDT 2005

John

First off when a product is concieved the best design may not
always win out. In consumer electronics cost drives many business
decisions. Features are included or excluded simply by cost basis
and design time needed.

There is an imporrtance of time to market to also consider.

I have an understanding of what Tandy may have gone through in
the 80's with the color computer line having worked in design and
manufacturing for 23 yrs. It is easy now after 25 y rs or so and play
retired armchair quarterback and second guess the decisions made
then.

Overall cost drove many of the high level decisoins on the Color
Computer. You also have to realize that this product was to reach
market their Model 1, 2 and 3 were not reaching. It was a niche
market product. The Coco 3 actuallly became more than a game or
entertainment computer. Yet it was burdened by not to take market
share from the Tabdy 1000 line of computers. It  had to fit between
the low cost game computer and the higher end 286/386 machines.

It did and did well despite the now obvious weaknesses. I did many
a report for my college work on a Coco 3 with OS9. In fact learning
Basic09 made learning Fortran77 almost a breeze. In fact those are
my two favorite languages.

Even the RSBASIC has power that makes it more than that of a
game computer. Almost all the math is done is floating point math.
It has 10 digit accuracy. The expansion port makes a nice but large
clumsy embedded machine to do far more than just sprites and
graphics. I have seen Cocos used in test setups to test and
determine battery life and capacity. Off the expansion slot there are
lots of things that can be done.

Yes the key board is limited. The joysticks I felt could be better. But
for what the Cocos do they do well. The one thing that makes it
what it is simply it is a hackable, modifiable machine that can do a
lot despite its original limitations.

There I have vented my opinions.

james