[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Is this a discussion about a new Coco?

Kevin Diggs kevdig at hypersurf.com
Mon Apr 18 19:04:09 EDT 2005

Hi,

Mark Marlette wrote:
> At 10:36 AM 4/18/2005, you wrote:
>
> I'll take as many of the SuperBoard's that you can make for under $100,
> that includes all of the options, including the Ethernet. The Ethernet
> chip alone costs well over $65 and that doesn't include the support
> chips. Then add in the cost of the PCB board, CPLDs which are in the
> $8-11 range each which there are 4-6 of them on the board.  As you can
> see without evening spending a whole a lot of time on it that the price
> goes up very fast. You must have been a sleep that day in Business
> Economics. Prove me wrong and send me the product. You can't. It is
> easier for you to sit back and do nothing but critique other peoples
> work and say it is too expensive.
>

> Mark
> Cloud-9
>
>> $350 - $450 for something that should cost less than $100 in parts is
>> why I won't be interested.  It does sound like it will be a pretty
>> complete solution though.

	Isn't the cost of getting a PC board done a very big chunk of the total
cost? Yes you might get the chips for $100 but that just gets you a pile
of chips. I have, on occasion, looked at the hardware on Cloud-9. It is
all commercial quality-looking stuff. Like you might buy in a store.
That ain't cheap. You could probably hack something together with a
breadboard but what would that look like?

	And I'm sorry Mark, ... but I sometimes have these nightmares. They go
something like this:

It's a dark, damp basement. Stacks of vintage computer parts are
everywhere. The sound of water dripping occasionally breaks the silence.
  The smell of rosin core solder permeates the air. A light is visible
in one corner. A man sits at a table. He is hunched over a circuit
board. In one hand is a soldering iron, solder in the other. He peers
through a magnifying glass at the circuit board. Beads of sweat glisten
on his forehead. As he prepares to make another connection, a frantic
voice breaks his concentration, "Mark, dinner is getting cold!". Just
one more connection, he thinks to himself.

At this point I wake up gasping for air.

					kevin