[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Is this a discussion about a new Coco?

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Mon Apr 18 17:24:39 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 17:04 -0400, Roger Merchberger wrote:
> Rumor has it that Mark Marlette may have mentioned these words:
>
> [snippage]
>
> >I'll take as many of the SuperBoard's that you can make for under $100,
> >that includes all of the options, including the Ethernet. The Ethernet
> >chip alone costs well over $65...
>
> [snippety-doo-dah]
>
> There are a lot of Ethernet chips that are way under the $10/chip range
> (like the RealTek 8139) - they'd have to be to offer a $9.99 PCI Ethernet
> card. So some people may wonder why the Superboard can't be based on one of
> these chips...

My initial reaction, I'll grant. I knew *why* but still...

> ... The reason: These chips would be more accurately called "WinEthernet"
> chips, along the same lines of "WinModem" chips - the host processor does
> *all* of the work; the chip is just a basic "bridge" to the interface. The
> 6809/6309 could never keep up if it had to do all the work; especially at
> Ethernet speeds - so the design would have to be centered around a chip
> that does all the work itself - these chips are much more expensive.

Comment from the peanut gallery: Wouldn't it make more sense to just
build the SuperBoard around an I/O coprocessor? Rather than pay for $56
Ethernet chip, pay for the $5 Ethernet chip and add design the whole
board around a $25 microcontroller or embedded CPU. That's $30 you still
have some money left over for the PCB, PHY, and whatever else is on the
SB, plus you get a nice coprocessor that could be used for other stuff
if you're feeling particularly sacreligious that day...

-- John.