[Coco] [Color Computer] USB Anyone?

j_e_daggett j_e_daggett at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 13:58:30 EDT 2005

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, Phill Harvey-Smith <dragon at a...>
wrote:
> j_e_daggett wrote:
> >

> > Beisdes most PLD chips are $0.75 to $1.25. The IDE interface that is
> > functional equivalent to the Glennside IDE takes only 26 macrocells of
> > a 9572 series CPLD. IT won't fit into a 9536 do to the lack of
pinouts.

> Would be interested in seeing the HDL code for that.

****************
Phil

It was so simple that I used schematic editor to do the circuit. I may
rewrite it in VHDL for the heck of it.

****************
> > I still contend that one large CPLD device will beable to shrink the
> > board size significantly such that teh savings in board costs will
> > overide any extrra cost in the CPLD. It is a trade off.
>
> A CPLD also has the major advantage, thta if you get the logic wrong on
> the first design (and in my experience of such things you almost
> cirtainly won't get it completely correct first time), you can mostly
> change it by changing the VHDL/Verilog that you program into the CPLD,
> which saves you having to cut tracks, and rewire.
>
> Another things to considder is that using a CPLD does not nesescrally
> mean using surface mount, as for example the 9536, 9572 and 95103 are
> alll available in PLCC, which is somewhat easier to work with. I have
> done surface mount and whilst is's not a difficult to do as I initially
> thought, PLCC/DIP is definatly easier :)
>
> Phill.

*******

I am not afraid smd devices. I have worked with them nearly a quarter
century. T he hardest is the darn 20x40 chip caps and resistors. They
need a magnifying glass to read them.

james

Yahoo! Groups Links