[Coco] [Color Computer] USB Anyone?

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 12:04:26 EDT 2005

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, Phill Harvey-Smith <dragon at a...>
wrote:
> James Diffendaffer wrote:
<snip>
>  >
>  > 1 PAL/GAL + 2 74HCT373 chips would handle all the logic for USB, IDE
>  > and interfacing a ROM.
>

> Had you considderd using something like one of the Xilinx CPLDs,
> something like an XC9572XL, this chip runs on 3.3v so will interface
> directly to the usb chip, but has 5V tollerent IO, so will also
> interface directly to the CoCo/Dragon bus without level shifters.

No need, the USB chip is 5V tolerant (See section 4.3.2 of the
SL811HS.pdf file).  The only reason I'd go with a PLD of any kind
would be to reduce the board size.  I was thinking adding the IDE
might require 2 extra chips for address decoding, bringing the total
chip count 6 + USB + IDE connector.  That wouldn't fit in a small
cartrige easily.  Now I think I can reduce that and get it to fit if
the USB part isn't too big.

>  > My biggest roadblock is having to create a prototype board for the
<snip>
> Depending on what PCB software you are using I have a library that I
> made that contains the Dragon/CoCo edge connector.

Well, I have been trying to decide between FreePCB, Eagle, and PCB
123.  (No matter what program I use I seem to run into bugs)
I'm sure I could find a way to convert it no matter what format it's in.

Yahoo! Groups Links