[Color Computer] [Coco]: Nitros9 and B09 and RunB

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Tue Apr 12 22:50:38 EDT 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:20:45 -0500, George Ramsower
<yahoo at dvdplayersonly.com> wrote:

> The other day, I asked if Basic09 and RunB were optimized to use the 6309
> and I didn't get a definitive answer.
>
> Since I do all my programming in B09, I figured that if Nitros9 was so
> HOT,
> would my B09 programs run faster.
>
>  I'm sure that runb would be faster under the hopped up OS-9. Perhaps the
> runb stuff would even be faster if it was optimized also.
>
>  I need B09 to run faster so I can get more errors in less time. <grin>

     I had done some 6309 optomizations to BASIC09 itself, but had not
gotten to incorporating those changes into RUNB (except fixing the stack
so that it worked properly with Nitros9). Chris Dekker had done some
completely different optomizations to RUNB himself for the 6309 in a rival
product. I remember that some math was faster (one of the functions, on
integers, was twice as fast), and some other things as well. We were also
planning on building INKEY, SYSCALL and possibly GFX/GFX2 into RUNB
itself, so that they took a little less room and would be slightly faster
as well, but I don't think that ever got completed. I do know that BASIC09
itself was shrunk a few hundered bytes from the stock version.
    Boisy, did you ever get copies of he optomized BASIC09? I am pretty
sure that I don't have copies of the source anymore... that one had gotten
fried even before my TC-9 shut down.

L. Curtis Boyle