[Coco] SAVEM semigraphics screen

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Tue Apr 12 14:49:15 EDT 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:24:30 -0400, Robert Gault
<robert.gault at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> You can get some pointers by downloading my program Semigraphics24 and
> you won't have to reinvent the wheel.
> http://home.att.net/~robert.gault/Coco/Downloads/Downloads.htm
>
> David wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>  I'm away from my coco at the moment, but I was pondering..
>>  If I was to 'snapshot' a text-semigraphics screen using:
>>  SAVEM "FILENAME", &H200, &H600, &Hdummy-execution-address
>>  Could I then, inside a BASIC program
>>  LOADM"FILENAME"
>>  to get that screen back CoCo-Diskdrive-"Instantly"?
>>  Is there a better way of creating/storing/using multiple
>> full-textscreen-graphics?
>>  (to create one screen, I've manually calculated and typed in some 512
>> DATA figures.. tedious to say the least!)
>>  I've considered also loading multiple 512-byte screens into unused
>> memory space and using a short assembler program POKE'd or LOADM'd in
>> to fast-copy the appropriate data to the text-screen memory area
>>  What are some of the opinions of the group as to 'best practice' here?
>>  (Target software is combo BASIC/ASM, for info's sake)
>>  Regards,
>> David

    Yes, that method works, and is quite quick (a bit of waste of disk
space if you have a lot of them, since the 512 byte screens take an entire
granule of disk space), but it loads very quick. And to draw and save,
just create the screen in BASIC, and add the SAVEM
"filena",&h400,&H600,40999 to the end of you BASIC program (I usually put
40999 as the EXEC address for saving screens, since that is the RESET
button routine, and means that your machine won't crash if you
accidentally EXEC it).

--
L. Curtis Boyle