[Coco] [Color Computer] Load files .bas

John Guin johnguin at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 8 18:55:14 EDT 2005

If you have an untokeninzed BAS file (which would look like this):

5 REM A SILLY APP
10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD"
15 PRINT "I WISH I WAS C"
20 GOTO 10

You can copy and paste into MESS.  Copy a few lines at a time, and then in
MESS click EDIT | Paste.  It's an incredible time saver for "generic" BAS
files scattered about the net.

My only complaint is that it tends to make a few mistakes now and then,
generally by dropping the first number or so of a line.

For instance, the program above could get "typed" in as:

5 REM A SILLY APP
10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD"
5 PRINT "I WISH I WAS C"
20 GOTO 10

Which causes the original line 5 to be overwritten.  Needless to say, if
that happens in the middle of a 20K file, it's hard to locate all the
different lines that got over-written.  Keeping in small (about a screen at
a time) makes it easy to catch the mistakes as they happen.  Even taking
this bug into account, this is my favorite feature in MESS.

John