[Coco] Gadgets

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Wed Apr 6 16:52:42 EDT 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 RJRTTY at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/6/05 9:49:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> brucecalkins at bellsouth.net writes:
>
> << Bill, George, and others,
>
>  >  I believe the "Lower Case Kit" was an EPROM that replaced the masked in
>  ROM
>  > in the VDG.
>
>  This is correct.  The 6847 had provision for an external ROM.  (2K or so,
>  2716?)  At least one of the CoCo magazines had a article on how to.
>  (THE COLOR COMPUTER MAGAZINE, August 1983 page 33 by Dennis Kitsz.)
>
>  Bruce W.
>   >>

>       I actually have one of those original boards.   Got it wihen
> I bought out a friends coco collection back in 1985
>
> Roy

I bought a Lowerkit from Dennis soon after he came out with them.  Shortly
thereafter, I wrote a patch for Basic that allowed it to accept commands in
lowercase, allowing me to stay in the lowercase mode throughout.  This was the
first of many patches to Basic that I concocted that later turned into ADOS for
the CoCo 1.  I sent one of the first copies of ADOS to Dennis, introducing
myself and pointing out the natural tie-in between ADOS and his Lowerkit and
EPROM-burning hardware, and suggested that we might share a Rainbowfest booth.
Dennis accepted, and we would up sharing a booth at several subsequent
Rainbowfests as well.

Art