[Coco] Re: Gadgets

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Wed Apr 6 03:33:18 EDT 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, L. Curtis Boyle wrote:

> > On the CoCo2 there was a POKE 359,57 to keep the mode "idle" even while
> > at the OK-prompt, but this is quite dangerous with Disk Basic (forgot
> > why). Or if you e.g. use SOUND 1,1 it will play forever because you're
> > disabling a RAM hook which is timing the sound's duration. POKE 359,126
> > will return to normal behaviour.
>
>      POKE 359,57 changes the BASIC PRINT hook to just do an RTS; in other
> words, it disables the print hook. This is dangerous because any PRINT I/O
> (PRINT #x, which could be disk files, cassette files, and the printer) is
> NOT going to be done normally, since the routine to handle that is being
> entirely skipped. You can re-enable it again (if you want to just
> temporarily change the screen), by doing a POKE 359,&H7E, which re-enables
> the JSR to the PRINT hook routine.

That POKE 359,57 is more dangerous even than you've described.  If you try to
save anything in Ascii format, such as a Basic program or a file from a word
processor that uses Basic's I/O routine, it will APPEAR to save correctly, and
only later do you discover that the saved file contains no data!

Art