[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Re: Adapter from Coo3 to SVGA

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Tue Apr 5 23:09:20 EDT 2005

My suggestion would be a simple ultra cheap AVR microcontroller w/ built
in e2prom memory to do the programming. If you get one with a UART or
leftover I/O pins you could bring out a connector or just have a header
on the board w/TTL level serial port, so that the device could be
configured via serial port and saved to e2prom. Most users won't need to
reconfigure it, so you could make the MAX232 level converter part of a
special cable, or still juice from the flow control lines to do the
level conversions. I've seen premade cables for sale that do this.

This also might open additional markets, say someone using your adapter
for other vintage machines, since the device could be easily programmed
with settings other than the best coco values. They would just need to
build a different cable, I guess.

-- John.