[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Re: Adapter from Coo3 to SVGA

alsplace at pobox.com alsplace at pobox.com
Tue Apr 5 13:00:31 EDT 2005

Roy,

I should re-read an earlier description since this may have already
been stated, but ... the unit doesn't need to be programmed every boot,
just if it's been turned off long enough.  How long does it keep the
settings without power?  For example, my CoCo is hooked to a power
strip and I power the whole thing down.  That said, it sounds like I'd
need to program the unit every time I boot.

Is a battery backup a possible (cheap) solution?

As long as it can easily be programmed (insert disk, type "DOS", or
have code in the startup file of an auto-boot OS-9) that seems good
enough, since we could start RS-DOS first.  (Not being able to see the
boot process of OS-9 would be a problem if there was a bad boot we were
trying to debug, but we always fall back to RS-DOS which is a nice
parachute.)

And I love the idea of using the extra pin on the CoCo CM-8 port.  I
like the off the shelf cable idea, but would it be that much harder for
someone to produce cables just for your device, that us all the needed
pins and go to the box for programming?  I like that idea better than
having to have a Cloud-9 cable and a cassette port cable hooked up.

     -- Allen