[Color Computer] Re: [Coco] Adapter from Coo3 to SVGA

RJRTTY at aol.com RJRTTY at aol.com
Tue Apr 5 02:28:57 EDT 2005

In a message dated 4/4/05 10:03:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mark at cloud9tech.com writes:

<<
 As far as the volatile memory of the chip set. This is kind of the
 chicken and the egg as I see it. If you need to program the chips
 before the adapter works then how do you see what you are typing? Type
 blind? If programming is required then the chip set should have some
 method of interfacing to a non volatile memory source at power up.

 Did I miss something???

 Regards,

 Mark >>

Mark
        Thanks for the praise.       My main concern was to keep
cost to a bare minimum.      I wanted to use the coco instead of
a dedicated controller to keep cost down.     I tried to keep
everything about the converter affordable and easy to use
by using the coco to program the video chips and using
cables that people here are likely to have or can easily
get.
         As I have said elsewhere,  a short and logical
filename for the initailization routine makes it easy
to enter and use blind in RS basic.  I dont have
any trouble using it.    In Nitros9, the program
could be placed in the startup file.

        However,   If enough people want something more
I'll look into it.   An alternative to consider is having the
init program in a cartridge rom set for auto start.   But that
would mean taking up an MPI slot.   The main concern
I have is keeping the
price much lower than expensive ($200 +) commercial
converters like the XGRB2+.    If conveinance is more
inportant for the user then he/she should get the
commercial unit.

When I have time I will do some research and see
how much a dedicated micro controller would add
to the cost of the unit.

        This project is still very much in flux and
nothing is set in stone so if anybody here
have any more questions and concerns then
please bring them into the discussion on this
list.     My goal is to produce the ultimate
SVGA converter for our little machine
once and for all.  :)

Roy

         I am considering designing a more featured