[Coco] Another OT post...

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sat Apr 2 15:10:55 EST 2005

In a message dated 4/1/05 8:04:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, farna at att.net
writes:

In fact,  I'm looking for something a bit better. Found an off-lease company
with some  PII 300 laptops in good working condition with 128MB RAM or more
for under  $150 (no operating system or software). I hate to send that slow as
molasses  P133 (24MB RAM) since it is barely usable, even for a total beginner!
I have  Win98 on it now, Win95 should perform a bit better but I think I'll
put the  133 on e-bay and try to get $50-$75 for it and get the PII. Unless
someone has  one similar they'd like to donate. Would like a USB port if
possible. Must be  in good working condition, not concerned about cosmetics as long as
operation  isn't inhibited. I have an external CD-ROM (PCMIA card type) that
I can use if  no CD.

FWIW, I ran Win95 for years on a 486 at 75 MHz and 20M RAM.  Now my  son uses
it.
As for Win98, it is better than 95 in many ways, and is necessary to run  USB
ports.
Also your adopted niece will stand a better chance of finding SW to work
with 98.

The other good use of old PCs is to fit them with Linux, but you don't want
to try explaining that OS to any other human who hasn't been thru a few years
of  UNIX at work or OS9 at home.  And she should have what the "real world"
uses, for practical reasons.

Anyway, stick with Win98SE.  Works for me.  --Mike K.