[Coco] Adventures in resetting up...

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Sat Apr 23 18:55:27 EDT 2005

Finally, after a couple of years of having my CoCo system sitting in
boxes in the corner for lack of anywhere to set it up, I've got it
online with the new goodies I acquired from Cloud9 at the 'fest. So now,
I've got a working system with the following:

Coco3 with 6309 processor
512K RAM
MPI
FD502 floppy controller and drive
SuperIDE with a 128MB flash card and an 85MB IDE drive attached
CM8 monitor
AT Keyboard interface
Drivewire interface

Now I wish I had all that stuff back in the day. :)

So I've managed to get all of it working together sanely. First I got
HDB-DOS installed into the SuperIDE. Now that's cool. Then I figured I
needed Nitros9 so I downloaded that and set it up so it was available
via drivewire and got that going. After some poking around, I finally
managed to get my brain to click and I got a functional Nitros9 boot
with both the Drivewire and IDE interfaces active. Now that's cool.

Nitros9, Drivewire, HDB-DOS, the SuperIDE, and the AT keyboard interface
are really cool items.

One thing I discovered as I was poking around is that you can easily get
the SuperIDE and the floppy controller to both work without having to
switch any switches on the MPI by putting POKE&HFF7F,255 in the
AUTOEXEC.BAS file (assuming your floppy controller is in slot 4), at
least on my MPI.

Now all I need is another 360K floppy drive to put into my PC. (The BIOS
on my motherboard seems to think it supports 360K 5.25" drives. I wonder
if it's telling the truth.) But that's a problem for another day.

--
William Astle
finger lost at l-w.ca for further information

Geek Code V3.12: GCS/M/S d- s+:+ !a C++ UL++++$ P++ L+++ !E W++ !N w---
!D !M PS PE V-- Y+ PGP t+@ 5++ X !R tv+@ b+++@ !DI D? G e++ h+ y?