[coco] Converter update

RJRTTY at aol.com RJRTTY at aol.com
Fri Apr 8 00:52:21 EDT 2005

      I have successfully proto typed the circuit required for using
the monitor cable itself for programming the I2C interface for
my converter.   It uses the PIA line (pin10 on connector) for
the I2C data line and the vertical sync line for the I2C clock
line.  The circuit conditions both into nice clean square wave
signals.   I was able to write a short basic program to control
the data line and it was successfull.  The great thing about
this solution is it only requires changing a few components.
The cassette signals also required "conditioning" too so its not
surprising the circuits where similiar.
       I dont think I will be able to write the software to make
it work before the fest.    I will probably be too busy preparing
for the trip.     I will show the cassette line solution anyway
since it is fun to watch even tho it is now obsolete.

       It was a good thing that the enclosures were back-ordered
allowing those on the list to suggest a better solution to the
I2C programming problem than the one I used.    So it looks
like we can discard the cassette cable.  I am greatfull for
your help.

       One question I would like to ask,  how many out there
need a Pal version of the converter?   The video chips have
options for Pal operation.   The only problem is I do not have
a Pal coco to test it on.    Anybody willing to lend me a Pal
based machine to test on?    Of course, even if I did have
a Pal coco I would need to get a power converter to supply
it with power.

        There is still the problem of avoiding having to program
the converter after a long term power down.    I dont think a backup
battery would solve the problem.      The ideal situation would
be a pal chip to program a default configuration after a powerup
in addition to the ablility to reprogram the converter at will.    I just dont
want it to delay the availability of the converter.    Depends on
how fast I can pick up a working knowledge of Pal or Gal chip use.

Roy