[Coco] NitrOS-9 on DriveWire diskette

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Tue Sep 28 17:49:30 EDT 2004

And I found that, but I got the impression that the stuff at nitros9.org
which I downloaded yesterday doesn't boot with the DriveWire drivers in
it.

> This information has been available in this newsgroup for some time, so
> we tend not to repeat it and the url. Most discussions about NitrOS-9 in
> this group will refer to the public distributions rather than the
> Cloud-9 products of which one is DriveWire.

I'm not frustrated or anything; Boisy suggested (in kinder terms) that I
RTFM but I already had; the documentation was actually wrong and
misleading.

> There is documentation both in the Cloud-9 package and the nitros9.org
> site. The site also has source code for the NitrOS-9 system.
> OS-9/NitrOS-9 does not approach the friendliness of Disk Basic, Windows
> software, Mac-OS, or other popular systems. It is an embedded system /
> hobbiest package and there is a fairly steep learning curve.

Well I already went through that curve in my early adolescence. I
happily rebuilt my Level II boot disks with different configurations of
drivers, ram disks, etc. so I could compile C programs, write BASIC-09
code, run Multi-Vue and some games, etc.

I've forgotten a lot but it will come back. These days I'm a firmware
engineer and on my network I only use Linux so I'm familiar with the
hacking mentality :-)

> Long distance, non-realtime help usually does not go that smoothly.
> There is all the help you could possibly want available through this
> group but e-mail can be ambiguous.

I've learned to ask questions, some times you get answers some times you
don't. We programmers are a cranky lot as a group. Usually I get the
info I'm after, when I don't I just count on my flame retardant suit to
take care of things.

:-)

-- John.