[Coco] CoCo Progression...

Neil Morrison neilsmorr at hotpop.com
Sat Sep 25 21:53:16 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark McDougall" <msmcdoug at optushome.com.au>

> The biggest impediment I can see to adding 'modern' devices is not so much
> the physical interfacing, but the software - devices need device drivers.
At
> the risk of repeating myself ad-nauseum, I can't see USB *hosting* as
being
> a viable option. The only possibility here would be to use a one-chip
> solution on-board and then use that as a basis to emulate, say, a CoCo
disk
> drive. Then you could plug a 256MB USB flash stick into the CoCo...

Couldn't one have a generic USB host that had an 8 bit bus to other devices?
Something with a processor, ROM and RAM that would need a minimal interface
to the old 8-bit machine? I can see something that could be hooked to any
number of old computers, so that they could access USB hardware. And with
multiple machines being supported, the potential sales might be worth
considering.

Neil